Saturday, May 12, 2007

Adventures in driving


We got a car yesterday to use after business hours and during the weekend. Quinn and I are the designated drivers (we are the only two who can drive standard and are also the oldest) so we had to go out for a "driving lesson" with one of the UNC project drivers before we were given the keys. The roads in Malawi are crazy - potholes everywhere, tons of people walking on the side of the street, and they drive on the left! Don't worry though, our vehicle is a 4-wheel drive station wagon with automatic locks, windows, and airbags. We call it the Malawi Mom Mobile (which I guess makes me and Quinn the Malawi Moms).

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Driving there sounds similar to driving in St. Thomas! Is the steering wheel on the left or right? I think it'd be hard to get used to driving standard with your left hand on the shifter....

Lillian said...

The steering wheel is on the right, so not as weird as St. Thomas. The first week it was hard to remember that I had to turn right onto the left side of the road but now it feels completely natural.