Monk was a member of the "Trailheads", a diverse group of people in Chapel Hill and Carrboro who run and bike on the local trails. Up until that point I had been doing all of my running in Chapel Hill on the roads - I didn't even know about the 20+ miles of trails on the north side of town! He convinced Juice, Bling, and I to try it out for a run and I've been hooked ever since. Trail running gets to what I believe running is all about -- being outside and running around in the woods. It's not about holding a certain pace or doing a specific time, but about trying your best, opening yourself up to nature, and doing your best not to wipe out on a root or a rock. In fact, it's not if you wipe out but when. Trail runners refer to "trail love" as the effects of these falls -- the scrapes, bruises, and mud that inevitably result.
The trailheads recently hosted a race at the Little River park on northern Durham. The race raises money for the park to help them maintain and sustain their beautiful trails. Last Saturday couldn't have been better conditions for a race -- 45 degrees and sunny w
ith tons of friends around to share in the fun. Willow and I got up early to do a pre-race sweep. The race was a team effort; I don't think there was a trailhead there that didn't have some 'job' assigned to ensure the race ran smoothly. We did an easy loop of the 9 mile course, stopping to move logs out of the trail and make sure the course was clearly marked (although, I would argue that getting lost is part of the fun!). We finished with about 20 minutes to spare before the official start of the race - just enough time to drink some gatorade and eat a gu before lining up at the start to run it again. Both of us put forth a solid effort and finished as the 5th (Willow) and 6th (me) females overall. Not bad for 18 miles! I also wore my new toy - a GPS watch that interfaces with Google Earth so I can map where I've been! More important than the overall place or the overall distance is the joy of being active in nature. I'm looking forward to many more runs out there, and of course, the inevitable "trail love".

4 comments:
Your GPS toy sounds pretty cool. I'm glad you're blogging again. I hope you find time to get to it to tell us more about Malawei.
Hi Lil! You are amazing...I think I run 18 miles a month. But, I would have to ask Sunny the Wonder Dog. XO Barb
That sounds like so much fun. I guess "trail love" is "shiggie" eh? I mean, what with trail names and all, just add beer and you're heading in the direction of Hash!
Thanks for reading guys!
Kendra, no worries, I will write more about Malawi.
Barb, I think 18 miles a month is fine. I was sore for 3 days after pilates so you are WAY ahead of me there!
Mom, I only Hash in Malawi with the British ex-pats. No hash name yet, but I did have to go into the circle and drink this week as a "returnee".
Post a Comment