When Banda autocratically ruled Malawi after independence from 1964-1994 women were forbidden from wearing pants by law. Thus, even today, very few Malawian women wear slacks. I almost always wear skirts or dresses, and on the few occasions I have worn pants to work in the past they are pretty dressy. I led a training for the 24 STI clinic staff today, but I really didn't want to skip the Saturday run*, which is one of the highlights of my week. In fact, I even scheduled the training to start late enough so that I would be able to run and even enjoy some of breakfast. However, I spent too much time drinking coffee or chatting or something, because I was running late, and for some reason just grabbed the pants that were on the top of my clothes in my closet. Now, these are not dress pants and are actually very casual, but I though, what the hell, they're comfortable, they don't have any holes or stains, and at our last training most people showed up in jeans or track pants. They know I look professional at work, I'm sure no one will mind. To my great surprise I was greeted by almost everyone with, "Mukuchena"** and a big smile. Huh? Maybe they were just surprised to see me looking different?
* Different expats take turns hosting the weekly "long run" (10-15 km) followed by potluck breakfast
** You are dressed smartly (to dress smart = to look good)
No comments:
Post a Comment