
Friday, November 28, 2008
Promoting HTC
Since my dissertation and a good deal of my work in Malawi is based on the premise that despite having one of the highest HIV prevalences in the world, a large proportion of those infected don’t know they are infected and thus aren’t benefiting from treatment opportunities, I take every opportunity I can to promote HIV testing and counseling. This includes giving out my phone number to random people I meet in Lilongwe, such as the security guard at the Metro Cash n’ Carry (I love African store names), so that they can call me to help them navigate the clinic if they do decide to come in. It also includes driving 4 pretty large counselors in my pint-sized Rav4 about 30 minutes outside of town to volunteer at an HTC tournament organized by Grassroots Soccer. It should be a fun day, with a youth football tournament, dramas, traditional dance, prizes, and music planned in addition to the counseling and testing provided all day long for players and spectators.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment