Saying goodbye is very important in Swahili culture (there is even a separate verb for the formal process of saying goodbye -- kuaga). I hate goodbyes. But, I spent the weekend making the rounds and saying kwaheri to the people I've met.
The research team. This was actually another graduate student's goodbye but I don't have any more recent pictures of the whole team together.
The public health girls on an outing to the sand bank, a 20 minute boat ride from town - a great spot for swimming and picnicing!
Sheban, one of my fruit dealers. He is reaching for a mug of fruit on the lower shelves of the fridge. He was so excited to get a copy of the picture from me that he hung it up on the wall of his store. Apparently the only other picture he's ever received was from Bill Clinton, who visited his shop during a tour of Stone Town many years ago.The neighborhood kids. Nassir, on the far left, finished the school year 3rd in his class so last Friday I took them out to the nightly open air food market at Forodhani Gardens to celebrate.

No comments:
Post a Comment