Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Just like a wavin' flag

The FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour made it to Malawi this weekend! Lilongwe was one of the last stops on the tour which visited every single African country en route to the final destination, South Africa. I got goosebumps looking at the trophy thinking about the blood, sweat, and tears shed by players around the world, the emotion in their faces as they kiss the trophy and hoist it over their heads. The world cup is a HUGE deal. Most Malawians may not have televisions but every village has a football pitch.

I’d been trying to find tickets for weeks - I knew they were free - but could never find the elusive “Coke Ladies” distributing the scratch tickets with coca cola purchases. I had all but given up until one of my counselors called me on Saturday morning and said, “Liliyeni, come down to Capital Hotel, they’re giving out tickets in front! I’m in the queue right now!” I grabbed my housemate, picked up a friend on the way, and despite the petrol shortage drove to the other side of town.

With my housemate Marko, and Sam, an HTC counselor at my clinic
Before the queue to see the trophy we were herded into a crowded room to watch a 3D movie. The movie was pretty awesome and was basically a coke commercial, but the best part was the reaction of the crowd. Again, the vast majority of Malawians, even in town, don’t own televisions! So imagine the reaction to a 3D movie! The screams when an animated soccer ball came flying towards us were priceless.

The queue to see the trophy

The Black Missionaries, Malawi’s beloved reggae band, were in line behind me and I got to chat with them about their upcoming performances. Many people were dressed in their finest clothes for the occasion (and I felt badly that I had been in such a hurry that I just grabbed the first clothes I could find).

Showing off our snaps with the trophy (not sure why I'm still wearing my 3D glasses?)

Me and my buddies, the Black Missionaries

The Blacks performed and we danced to their reggae beat in the rain, but the highlight of my day was K’naan. In true Malawi fashion the sound system went out, but he just said “T.I.A. - This Is Africa - I still have my voice” and started singing with no back-up. This IS Africa....no diesel, no petrol, nightly blackouts in this city.

On stage with the sound guys working furiously in the background
He is an amazing artist and performer and it was so cool to see him perform in Africa. He spent his one morning in Malawi up at the refugee camp about 30km north of Lilongwe where a lot of Somali refugees currently live.

Just chillin' with K'naan in the lobby of the Capital Hotel

"And any man who knows a thing knows he knows not a damn damn thing at all..."
-K'naan

No comments: