Thursday, July 31, 2008

Glimpse of village life

Jon and I were extremely lucky last weekend to have the opportunity to visit a village in rural Lilongwe for a celebration. Someone important died a few months ago, the funeral had already taken place, so Saturday was the day to celebrate his life. People from all of the villages in the area traveled for the all-day occasion, that involved cooking nsima, chicken, and goat (it was pointed out to me that there were very few vegetables because it was a ‘very special occasion’ and therefore we were eating meat); drinking African moonshine; and hours of singing, dancing and drumming. Everywhere I turned I was asked to ‘capture’ this or that so I ended up with a lot of pictures. I am excited to have them printed and return to the village to distribute them!


3 comments:

Mona said...

wow, lill. amazing!! funny to picture you and jon right smack dab in the middle of this. it's too wild!

Janet said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful people. What wonderful experiences you're having!

Lillian said...

I know, it's pretty wild! And wonderful experiences!