Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chinteche

Our days in Chinteche were pure relaxation.  So much so that we extended our stay 2 extra days! We stayed right on a lake front of pristine white sandy beach and rose with the sun every day.  The days were a blur: we did our laundry in the lake and hung our clothes to dry in the sun, bought fish straight from the dugouts as the returned to shore at dawn, ate lots of fresh fish and grilled plantains, went swimming in the lake, napped on the beach, went to the market for cassava chips and bananas, wrote letters, read, told stories, and went to bed early.  At night we admired the Milky Way from the southern hemisphere and watched the paraffin lamps on the dugout canoes bobbing in the lake.  

Fishermen in the dawn light

Waiting for the boats to come in 

Jon with the day's lunch

Ima and I taking a post-lunch nap
Chinteche was the last stop on our Northern Region tour and I think we all ended the trip rejuvenated.  Jon and I felt so fortunate for our experiences in the village and the opportunity to see so much of this beautiful country and meet so many generous Malawians.  This trip really reinforced how little all of the things I own matter, and how much more important my relationships with other people are.

2 comments:

Mona said...

who is ima? how cute!! what's up food coma?? spectacular pix, lill. i survived my triathlon this weekend - barely! thought of you when i saw cute couples doing it together -when will i find me a tri guy like you found in jon!?
-m

Lillian said...

How did your triathlon go?!!! Ima is my colleague's 2-year old daughter. She was completely petrified of me when I first met her and couldn't even look me in the face (a lot of Malawian kids are afraid of white people) but we bonded. We were in complete food coma...I think I put on a few kgs during the week :)